- Never say goodbye...
- Things to Do With Your Toddler In Chicago
- You Know You're An Au Pair In The USA When...
- Home Sweet Home: How To Cope With Reverse Culture Shock
- Former Au Pair Mette Sharing Her Year as an Au Pair!
- Former Au Pairs... Where Are They Now?!
- Karina Kolbe - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2017
- New Year's Resolutions for U.S. Au Pairs
- The Four Major Benefits of EurAupair's Au Pair Program in America
- Au Pair Holiday Gift Ideas for Host Families
- An Au Pair Guide to Thanksgiving - An American Tradition
- Tricks and Treats to Enjoying Halloween With Your Host Siblings
- When One Gap Year Ended Into the Best 4 Years of My Life
- Former Au Pair and Community Counselor Laetitia Mouton’s Story
- 6 Fun After School Activities for Host Families and Au Pairs
- Summer Fun With The Kids
- Au Pair Story - Farm Life
- EurAupair's 2016 National Month of Giving
- Money Management for Au Pairs
- Glossary: Understanding the Au Pair Lingo
- Elise Ducam - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2016
- The Holidays with Your Au Pair
- 7 Facts about the EurAupair NYC Workshop
- Surviving Snow Days as an Au Pair in America
- What do you do to entertain a 20-year-old when you’ve forgotten what it’s like to be 20?
- My Time with my American Family!
- Jacqueline Maersch - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2015
- True American Experience for Au Pair Jennifer
- My 21 Months in the USA
- Quick Overview of American Holidays
- Svenja Kupke - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2013
- French Au Pair Emilie’s Story
- EurAupair Au Pair Awarded IAPA Au Pair of the Year
- Au Pair Alice Shares Her Experience
- Advantages of Becoming an Au Pair
New Year's Resolutions for U.S. Au Pairs
While America is not the only country that participates in the tradition of making New Year's resolutions, they do tend to approach them differently. U.S. au pairs can use this as an opportunity to explore the American culture. Here are a few suggestions from EurAupair to get you started.
Improving health is the number one resolution in America. Americans tend to focus on the end result instead of the actions to take - lose ten pounds or run a 5K. Whereas China, for example, they lean more towards the actual action instead - eat healthier or join a gym.
Another popular option for New Year's resolution is improving education, understanding of a topic, or learning a new skill. As U.S. au pairs this is a great time to focus on meeting your educational requirements, taking extra time to improve your English, or learning a new hobby. Consider enrolling in your classes early, or get your host siblings involved and sign up for an after-school group learning activity, such as those offered through local community centers.
When there is a language barrier, such as can often happen with au pairs and their host family, communication may be impaired as well. While you are working to improve your English, now is a great time to also focus on improving your communication skills with your host family and the children.
Life, in general, is a beautiful mess, but you do not have to let life's chaos run rampant. Instead, make a point to become more organized, both in your everyday life, and at school.
Make New Friends
As U.S. au pairs, making friends can help you cope with homesickness and add richness to your time in America. Reach out to your community councillor, keep in touch with other local au pairs, start conversations with other caregivers at local parks, and extend friendship to classmates.
Improve Understanding of the American Culture
The American culture is a wonderful mix from all around the world with a uniqueness that you will find only in America. Resolving to further your current understanding is a great way to get the most out of your time here.
To learn more suggestions for New Year's resolutions, or to request information about becoming an au pair in America, please contact EurAupair today!