Requirements for Becoming a EurAupair Au Pair
How to Apply to the EurAupair Program
Find out who is our EurAupair partner in your country and contact them now to apply!
Do you love children? Are you eager to spend an enriching year abroad? Do you want to experience authentic American life as a trusted "big sister or brother" in your host family? Would you like to make lifelong friends abroad?
You may be accepted by EurAupair if you:
- Are mature and responsible.
- Are 18 through 26 years of age.
- Enjoy children ages 3 months through 12 years, and have at least 200 hours experience in caring for infants (babysitting, etc.), if providing child care assistance for infants and children under two years of age.
- Enjoy helping children grow and develop, and are willing to enrich the lives of your host family by sharing your culture and traditions.
- Are a conscientious person who is willing to make a one year commitment to experience American culture by living as a member of an American family, and providing up to 45 hours of child care assistance each week.
- Have completed at least the educational equivalent of an American high school diploma (12 years).
- Are conversant in English.
- Are in good health.
- Are energetic and enthusiastic.
- Are a nonsmoker.
- Are a licensed driver.*
* Most American families lead highly mobile lives, driving everywhere. It is extremely rare that a family can accept an au pair who isn't licensed to drive. Consequently, you should have a valid driver's license upon departure.
And in addition (to the above) to qualify for the EurAupair "Au Pair Par Expérience" program, you must:
- Be at least 20 years old (but not have turned 27) upon departure
- Have at least 2 years of full time child care experience, or
- Be a certificated child care provider or hold a kindergarten or elementary school teaching degree.
After You Are Accepted
If you are accepted by EurAupair, your
application packet will be sent to EurAupair in America, where it will
be presented to host families who have been screened by EurAupair, just
as you have. Often, the family will choose an au pair with similar
interests and hobbies, or the au pair may just "feel right."
In most cases, placement occurs quickly. When you have been selected by your host family, EurAupair will send you your visa papers and arrange for your travel from your home country to New York City, and then to your homestay community. During this time, you can begin writing letters to your host family so they can start getting to know you.
With EurAupair, you choose the time when you
are available to travel. While you can choose any of EurAupair's
departure months, you may be placed more quickly if you can travel in
the March, April or May. That means you'll get to enjoy all of America's
summer fun too!
Our departure months are listed below.