- The Four Major Benefits of EurAupair's Au Pair Program in America
- Lorena Simon - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2018
- Things to Do With Your Toddler In Boston
- Never say goodbye… | An Au Pair Reunion Story
- Things to Do With Your Toddler In Chicago
- You Know You're An Au Pair In The USA When...
- Home Sweet Home: How To Cope With Reverse Culture Shock
- Former Au Pair Mette Sharing Her Year as an Au Pair!
- Former Au Pairs... Where Are They Now?!
- Karina Kolbe - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2017
- New Year's Resolutions for Au Pairs in the U.S.
- Au Pair Holiday Gift Ideas for Host Families
- An Au Pair Guide to Thanksgiving - An American Tradition
- Tricks and Treats to Enjoying Halloween With Your Host Siblings
- When One Gap Year Ended Into the Best 4 Years of My Life
- Former Au Pair and Community Counselor Laetitia Mouton’s Story
- 6 Fun After School Activities for Host Families and Au Pairs
- Summer Fun With The Kids
- Au Pair Story - Farm Life
- EurAupair's 2016 National Month of Giving
- Money Management for Au Pairs
- Glossary: Understanding the Au Pair Lingo
- Elise Ducam - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2016
- Can au pairs provide child care over the holidays
- 7 Facts about the EurAupair NYC Workshop
- Surviving Snow Days as an Au Pair in America
- What do you do to entertain a 20-year-old when you’ve forgotten what it’s like to be 20?
- My Time with my American Family!
- Jacqueline Maersch - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2015
- True American Experience for Au Pair Jennifer
- My 21 Months in the USA
- Quick Overview of American Holidays
- Svenja Kupke - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2013
- French Au Pair Emilie’s Story
- EurAupair Au Pair Awarded IAPA Au Pair of the Year
- Au Pair Alice Shares Her Experience
- Advantages of Becoming an Au Pair
Au Pair Holiday Gift Ideas for Host Families
Chances are, if you are an au pair in the United States, your host family will celebrate Christmas or one of the many other wonderful holidays that occur this time of year. Common among many of these events is exchanging gifts. Here are some holiday ideas for gifts that your host family will love.
A Treat from Your Home Country
The au pair program is designed to help spread cultural awareness, and the holidays are a great time to show your host family more about your culture, and how your country celebrates this time of year. Consider:
- Cooking a traditional meal or treat often served during the holidays.
- Presenting traditional gifts from your country and explaining the traditions behind them.
- Sharing childhood stories, legends, and lore.
Handmade with Love
You do not have to spend a lot of money on holiday gifts. In fact, making gifts for close friends and family has long been a favored Christmas tradition for many American families. Get the children involved as an extra special treat for your host parents. Popular homemade gifts include:
- Cookies and other tasty treats
- Knitted hats, scarves, mittens, and other apparel
- Soaps, scrubs, and lotions
- Candles, scented oil blends, and potpourri
Parents love keepsakes that build and make memories, and host parents are no exception. This is another idea where host children can lend a hand to create wonderful gifts that your host family will cherish for years to come. Some ideas include:
- Travel mugs, tote bags, or keychains with a collage of their kid's picture
- A video recording of yourself telling your host family how much you appreciate them.
- Picture frames decorated with trinkets from your time with your host family.
Make Them Personal
Did you overhear your host parents mention they liked a small something in a shop? Did your host children get excited over a toy in a shop you visited? Noting these small little details can make a huge impact this holiday season. You do not have to spend a lot to find that perfect little something, as long as they are personally relevant to your host family.
The holidays all have one thing in common: Sharing a special moment with friends and family. To learn more about spending the holiday's as an au pair in America, please contact the team at EurAupair today!