- The Four Major Benefits of EurAupair's Au Pair Program in America
- Lorena Simon - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2018
- Things to Do With Your Toddler In Boston
- Never say goodbye… | An Au Pair Reunion Story
- Things to Do With Your Toddler In Chicago
- Home Sweet Home: How To Cope With Reverse Culture Shock
- Former Au Pair Mette Sharing Her Year as an Au Pair!
- Former Au Pairs... Where Are They Now?!
- Karina Kolbe - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2017
- New Year's Resolutions for Au Pairs in the U.S.
- Au Pair Holiday Gift Ideas for Host Families
- An Au Pair Guide to Thanksgiving - An American Tradition
- Tricks and Treats to Enjoying Halloween With Your Host Siblings
- When One Gap Year Ended Into the Best 4 Years of My Life
- Former Au Pair and Community Counselor Laetitia Mouton’s Story
- 6 Fun After School Activities for Host Families and Au Pairs
- Summer Fun With The Kids
- Au Pair Story - Farm Life
- EurAupair's 2016 National Month of Giving
- Money Management for Au Pairs
- Glossary: Understanding the Au Pair Lingo
- Elise Ducam - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2016
- Can au pairs provide child care over the holidays
- 7 Facts about the EurAupair NYC Workshop
- Surviving Snow Days as an Au Pair in America
- What do you do to entertain a 20-year-old when you’ve forgotten what it’s like to be 20?
- My Time with my American Family!
- Jacqueline Maersch - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2015
- True American Experience for Au Pair Jennifer
- My 21 Months in the USA
- Quick Overview of American Holidays
- Svenja Kupke - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2013
- French Au Pair Emilie’s Story
- EurAupair Au Pair Awarded IAPA Au Pair of the Year
- Au Pair Alice Shares Her Experience
- Advantages of Becoming an Au Pair
6 Fun After School Activities for Host Families and Au Pairs
All across the country children are returning to school. As the air turns crisp and leaves change colors, host families and their au pairs are often at a loss for interesting and fun things to keep the children engaged after school. Here are six fun ideas for after school activities.
1. Head Outside
After being kept inside for most of the school day, children need time to get outdoors and get their blood moving. Weather permitting, playing outside is a great way to burn off steam after a long day. Consider taking your host siblings to the park or sign up for a community sports team.
2. Visit Local Area Attractions
Nearly every city will have at least one attraction worth visiting, such as a bowling alley, roller rink, or laser tag venue. These are generally inexpensive and can provide hours of safe enjoyment.
3. Play a Trivia Game
Every year or so game companies develop new trivia games rich with cultural and educational tidbits. This makes them perfect for after school, as they are helpful to children and au pairs as well! Just ensure the board game is age-appropriate.
4. Search Out Educational Establishments
When families decide to host an au pair, they are advised to make a list of nearby attractions their au pair may enjoy or benefit from. These may include zoos, museums, exhibits, science centers or community groups. Not only do these make great resources for au pairs to expand their cultural understanding, but they also make great after school activities for children.
5. Get Crafty
Arts and crafts have long been the go-to for keeping young children occupied and with the excess of affordable options and resource information available today, it has never been easier to set up a craft station for children.
6. Shake Up the Family Meal
One of the key benefits to being a host family or au pair, is the ability to expand on your current cultural knowledge, so why not involve the children in the meal preparation. Have one meal a week from a different country and introduce children to all the different flavors of the world!
For more ideas on how to keep host siblings engaged after school, please contact your local community counselor. To learn more about how to host an au pair, please contact the friendly staff at EurAupair today!