- Things to Do With Your Toddler in Los Angeles
- Neila Maria Santana Costa - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2019
- EurAupair: Culturally Enriching, Convenient, and Affordable for 30 Years
- The Four Major Benefits of EurAupair's Au Pair Program in America
- Lorena Simon - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2018
- Things to Do With Your Toddler In Boston
- Never say goodbye… | An Au Pair Reunion Story
- Things to Do With Your Toddler In Chicago
- Home Sweet Home: How To Cope With Reverse Culture Shock
- Former Au Pair Mette Sharing Her Year as an Au Pair!
- Former Au Pairs... Where Are They Now?!
- Karina Kolbe - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2017
- New Year's Resolutions for Au Pairs in the U.S.
- Au Pair Holiday Gift Ideas for Host Families
- An Au Pair Guide to Thanksgiving - An American Tradition
- Tricks and Treats to Enjoying Halloween With Your Host Siblings
- When One Gap Year Ended Into the Best 4 Years of My Life
- Former Au Pair and Community Counselor Laetitia Mouton’s Story
- 6 Fun After School Activities for Host Families and Au Pairs
- Summer Fun With The Kids
- Au Pair Story - Farm Life
- EurAupair's 2016 National Month of Giving
- Money Management for Au Pairs
- Glossary: Understanding the Au Pair Lingo
- Elise Ducam - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2016
- Can au pairs provide child care over the holidays
- 7 Facts about the EurAupair NYC Workshop
- Surviving Snow Days as an Au Pair in America
- What do you do to entertain a 20-year-old when you’ve forgotten what it’s like to be 20?
- My Time with my American Family!
- Jacqueline Maersch - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2015
- True American Experience for Au Pair Jennifer
- My 21 Months in the USA
- Quick Overview of American Holidays
- Svenja Kupke - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2013
- French Au Pair Emilie’s Story
- EurAupair Au Pair Awarded IAPA Au Pair of the Year
- Au Pair Alice Shares Her Experience
- Advantages of Becoming an Au Pair
Tricks and Treats to Enjoying Halloween With Your Host Siblings
Halloween is one of the most anticipated holidays by children, second only to Christmas. Who could blame them when free candy and dressing up in spooky costumes are included? Halloween is a great time for Au Pairs to engage their host siblings. EurAupair has prepared a few things you can do to make this Holiday “spooktacular.”
Creating or Hunting Down the Perfect Costume
Halloween just is not Halloween without the perfect costume. Dressing up in scary costumes has been around since the ancient Celtics took up the practice to scare off evil spirits during their Samhain celebration, which falls at the same time of year. Today, Halloween costumes range from the incredibly creepy to adorable. Spend a day, or two, hunting around for that perfect costume this year, or take a chance at creating a one-of-a-kind costume.
Get in the Spirit with Decorations
Decorating have long been a tradition among many cultures, and Halloween is the second largest holiday in America in regards to decorating. Entire stores open for business just to accommodate America's obsession with spooky decor for Halloween. Au pairs don't have to take their host siblings to special stores to find creepy critters. Instead, homemade options, such as scarecrows from old clothes and fallen leaves and Jack-O-Lanterns, often invoke creepier vibes than store bought ones.
Candy and Halloween go hand in hand, but don't limit yourself to just candy. Halloween is a great time to get creative in the kitchen. Whip up a tasty Witches Brew, broil severed fingers, and enjoy spider chip cookies.
Of course, in some cultures, a special meal is prepared for Halloween or the Day of the Dead, and may include traditions unknown to you or your host family. Sharing how you traditionally celebrate this time of year is a great way to engage your host siblings.
Out and About
Au Pairs should consider taking their host siblings to local Halloween attractions, which may include:
- Corn Mazes
- Hay Rides
- Apple or Pumpkin picking
- Haunted Houses (May not be appropriate for younger children.)
Halloween is a kid's Holiday, one where teens and adults get in on the fun as well, and is a great way to develop stronger bonds. To learn more, please contact EurAupair today!