- Edna Imbachi Guaca - Au Pair of the Year 2020
- Things to Do With Your Toddler in Los Angeles
- Neila Maria Santana Costa - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2019
- EurAupair: Culturally Enriching, Convenient, and Affordable for 30 Years
- The Four Major Benefits of EurAupair's Au Pair Program in America
- Lorena Simon - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2018
- Things to Do With Your Toddler In Boston
- Never say goodbye… | An Au Pair Reunion Story
- Things to Do With Your Toddler In Chicago
- Home Sweet Home: How To Cope With Reverse Culture Shock
- Former Au Pair Mette Sharing Her Year as an Au Pair!
- Former Au Pairs... Where Are They Now?!
- Karina Kolbe - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2017
- New Year's Resolutions for Au Pairs in the U.S.
- Au Pair Holiday Gift Ideas for Host Families
- An Au Pair Guide to Thanksgiving - An American Tradition
- Tricks and Treats to Enjoying Halloween With Your Host Siblings
- When One Gap Year Ended Into the Best 4 Years of My Life
- Former Au Pair and Community Counselor Laetitia Mouton’s Story
- 6 Fun After School Activities for Host Families and Au Pairs
- Summer Fun With The Kids
- Au Pair Story - Farm Life
- EurAupair's 2016 National Month of Giving
- Money Management for Au Pairs
- Glossary: Understanding the Au Pair Lingo
- Elise Ducam - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2016
- Can au pairs provide child care over the holidays
- 7 Facts about the EurAupair NYC Workshop
- Surviving Snow Days as an Au Pair in America
- What do you do to entertain a 20-year-old when you’ve forgotten what it’s like to be 20?
- My Time with my American Family!
- Jacqueline Maersch - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2015
- True American Experience for Au Pair Jennifer
- My 21 Months in the USA
- Quick Overview of American Holidays
- Svenja Kupke - EurAupair Au Pair of the Year 2013
- French Au Pair Emilie’s Story
- EurAupair Au Pair Awarded IAPA Au Pair of the Year
- Au Pair Alice Shares Her Experience
- Advantages of Becoming an Au Pair
Can au pairs provide child care over the holidays
The winter holiday seasons are an exciting time of the year to spend time with the family, however, for an au pair, the holidays can be a source of stress. The following information provides insight and tips to concerns commonly experienced with au pair programs during holiday season.
Working on the Holiday Season
Au pair programs do allow an au pair to work on holidays; however, it's vital to include your au pair in the festivities. Doing so will ensure they feel a part of the family and get to experience the holiday celebration.
Prepare for Homesickness
During the holiday season homesickness can occur, even if it hasn't happened during any other time of the year. Your au pair may miss their family, friends, familiar places, and their own traditions, especially during the holiday season. Be understanding of your au pair’s mixed feelings, and see what can be done to cheer them up!
The holidays you and your family celebrate may be different than what your au pair is used to. Ensure that you explain this to your au pair so she knows what is expected, and is involved in the celebration.
Get The Most Out of Your Au Pair Program
If you want to get the most from an au pair program, let your au pair share some of her holiday traditions with your family. By doing this, it provides a unique opportunity for the au pair to educate the children on their customs and traditions. Ask the au pair to talk about their specific family traditions, such as in-home traditions, meals, visitors, etc.
Give Themed Activity Suggestions
One of the quintessential goals of au pair programs is to expose your children to different and exciting cultures and activities. One way to achieve this during the holidays is to provide your au pair with suggestions of themed holiday activities; this will give her ideas on fun and cool things she can do with the kids. If the au pair has different religious beliefs than your own, you can encourage her to share some of the traditions with the family.
For themed activities, games, decorations, and more, visit our Pinterest page today at https://www.pinterest.com/euraupair/.