- Au Pair Gift Ideas
- Establishing Ground Rules With Your Au Pair
- Au Pair Host Family Story: The Brown Family
- EurAupair: Culturally Enriching, Convenient, and Affordable for 30 Years
- Au Pair and Pet Care | Can an Au Pair Care for Pets?
- Tips For Transitioning From One Au Pair To Another
- How to Prepare For and Conduct an Au Pair Telephone Interview?
- Can My Au Pair Drive?
- How to Prepare for an Au Pair?
- Things to Do With Your Toddler In Boston
- Never say goodbye… | An Au Pair Reunion Story
- Things to Do With Your Toddler In Chicago
- The Ultimate Au Pair Guide
- Why Host An Au Pair | Question to Consider When Choosing to Host
- How To Get The Best Of The Cultural Exchange With The Host Children
- How to Help Your Au Pair Adjust to a New Culture
- Au Pairs: A Solution for Military Families
- Au Pair Host Family Story: Amy & Luke
- Safety Tips to Consider Before Hosting an Au Pair
- 5 Steps to Finding the Perfect Au Pair
- How to Help Your Homesick Au Pair
- What Can And Can't Your Community Counselor Do?
- 6 Fun After School Activities for Host Families and Au Pairs
- Au Pair Summer Schedule
- How to Travel With Your Au Pair
- 6-Steps to Welcome your Au Pair
- Au Pair Schedule 101
- FAQ on Au Pairs Driving in the U.S.
- Host Family Guide to a Successful Year
- Single Parents Can Reduce Stress with Au Pairs in America
- Enrich The Lives of Your Family Through Cultural Exchange with an Au Pair Agency
- Au Pair Host Family Story: Christine & John
- Can au pairs provide child care over the holidays
- Hosting an Au Pair: True or False
- What do you do to entertain a 20-year-old when you’ve forgotten what it’s like to be 20?
- Welcoming Your Au Pair
- 7 Au Pair Facts
- Au Pair Host Family Story: Kelly & Micha
- Why Choose EurAupair
- The Second Au Pair Syndrome
- Au Pair Host Family Story: Kati & George
- EurAupair Host Families Reviews
Au Pair and Pet Care | Can an Au Pair Care for Pets?
If you’re thinking about welcoming an au pair into your home to care for your children, you might be wondering, “Can an au pair care for pets, too?” The simple answer to this question is no — you cannot require an au pair to tend to your pets.
When an Au Pair May Care for Your Pets
While providing pet care can’t be a formal job requirement for an au pair, there are instances when an au pair may assist. If your children are responsible for tending to your pets, for instance, your au pair may help them perform their pet care duties as a natural extension of her child care responsibilities.
Additionally, even though you can’t compel an au pair to care for pets, many of them become so entrenched in the lives of their host families that they volunteer to lend a helping hand. Just like they care for your children, a lot of au pairs are more than willing to care for your pets when you can’t do so yourself — and sometimes even when you can.
How to Know If an Au Pair May Be Willing to Tend to Your Pets
If you’d like to host an au pair who shares your affection for pets, the interview is an ideal time to figure out if a candidate has an interest in animals. When you interview a prospective au pair, you should let the individual know that you have pets in your home, and tell her what kind of pets you have. You should inquire about any allergies she may have as well to ensure she won’t have a reaction to being in the same home as your pets.
No matter what, you want your au pair to feel comfortable and safe in your home even if she prefers not to care for your pets. Asking if she’s okay being around animals before she arrives is important.
Even if a prospective au pair assures you that she will be more than happy to tend to your pets when you interview her, you still cannot make providing pet care a mandatory part of her job. An au pair can only care for pets on a voluntary basis because her primary responsibility is to look after your children.
Contact EurAupair for More Information
To learn more about the duties you can and cannot require an au pair to perform during her time in your home or for more information about our EurAupair Intercultural Child Care Programs, contact the friendly staff at EurAupair.