- Five Steps to Take When Issues Arise
- Affordable Child Care Alternatives
- Top Five Benefits of Hosting an Au Pair
- Au Pairs Versus a Nanny
- Host an Au Pair
- Cooking With Your Au Pair
- Things to Do With Your Toddler in Los Angeles
- Au Pair Gift Ideas
- Establishing Ground Rules With Your Au Pair
- Au Pair Host Family Story: The Brown Family
- EurAupair: Culturally Enriching, Convenient, and Affordable for 30 Years
- Au Pair and Pet Care | Can an Au Pair Care for Pets?
- Tips For Transitioning From One Au Pair To Another
- How to Prepare For and Conduct an Au Pair Telephone Interview?
- Can My Au Pair Drive?
- How to Prepare for an Au Pair?
- Things to Do With Your Toddler In Boston
- Never say goodbye… | An Au Pair Reunion Story
- Things to Do With Your Toddler In Chicago
- The Ultimate Au Pair Guide
- Why Host An Au Pair | Question to Consider When Choosing to Host
- How To Get The Best Of The Cultural Exchange With The Host Children
- How to Help Your Au Pair Adjust to a New Culture
- Au Pairs: A Solution for Military Families
- Au Pair Host Family Story: Amy & Luke
- Safety Tips to Consider Before Hosting an Au Pair
- 5 Steps to Finding the Perfect Au Pair
- How to Help Your Homesick Au Pair
- What Can And Can't Your Community Counselor Do?
- 6 Fun After School Activities for Host Families and Au Pairs
- Au Pair Summer Schedule
- How to Travel With Your Au Pair
- 6-Steps to Welcome your Au Pair
- Au Pair Schedule 101
- FAQ on Au Pairs Driving in the U.S.
- Host Family Guide to a Successful Year
- Single Parents Can Reduce Stress with Au Pairs in America
- Enrich The Lives of Your Family Through Cultural Exchange with an Au Pair Agency
- Au Pair Host Family Story: Christine & John
- Can au pairs provide child care over the holidays
- Hosting an Au Pair: True or False
- What do you do to entertain a 20-year-old when you’ve forgotten what it’s like to be 20?
- Welcoming Your Au Pair
- 7 Au Pair Facts
- Au Pair Host Family Story: Kelly & Micha
- Why Choose EurAupair
- The Second Au Pair Syndrome
- Au Pair Host Family Story: Kati & George
- EurAupair Host Families Reviews
Can au pairs provide child care over the holidays
The winter holiday seasons are an exciting time of the year to spend time with the family, however, for an au pair, the holidays can be a source of stress. The following information provides insight and tips to concerns commonly experienced with au pair programs during holiday season.
Working on the Holiday Season
Au pair programs do allow an au pair to work on holidays; however, it's vital to include your au pair in the festivities. Doing so will ensure they feel a part of the family and get to experience the holiday celebration.
Prepare for Homesickness
During the holiday season homesickness can occur, even if it hasn't happened during any other time of the year. Your au pair may miss their family, friends, familiar places, and their own traditions, especially during the holiday season. Be understanding of your au pair’s mixed feelings, and see what can be done to cheer them up!
The holidays you and your family celebrate may be different than what your au pair is used to. Ensure that you explain this to your au pair so she knows what is expected, and is involved in the celebration.
Get The Most Out of Your Au Pair Program
If you want to get the most from an au pair program, let your au pair share some of her holiday traditions with your family. By doing this, it provides a unique opportunity for the au pair to educate the children on their customs and traditions. Ask the au pair to talk about their specific family traditions, such as in-home traditions, meals, visitors, etc.
Give Themed Activity Suggestions
One of the quintessential goals of au pair programs is to expose your children to different and exciting cultures and activities. One way to achieve this during the holidays is to provide your au pair with suggestions of themed holiday activities; this will give her ideas on fun and cool things she can do with the kids. If the au pair has different religious beliefs than your own, you can encourage her to share some of the traditions with the family.
For themed activities, games, decorations, and more, visit our Pinterest page today at https://www.pinterest.com/euraupair/.