- Cooking With Your Au Pair
- Things to Do With Your Toddler in Los Angeles
- Au Pair Gift Ideas
- Establishing Ground Rules With Your Au Pair
- Au Pair Host Family Story: The Brown Family
- EurAupair: Culturally Enriching, Convenient, and Affordable for 30 Years
- Au Pair and Pet Care | Can an Au Pair Care for Pets?
- Tips For Transitioning From One Au Pair To Another
- How to Prepare For and Conduct an Au Pair Telephone Interview?
- Can My Au Pair Drive?
- How to Prepare for an Au Pair?
- Things to Do With Your Toddler In Boston
- Never say goodbye… | An Au Pair Reunion Story
- Things to Do With Your Toddler In Chicago
- The Ultimate Au Pair Guide
- Why Host An Au Pair | Question to Consider When Choosing to Host
- How To Get The Best Of The Cultural Exchange With The Host Children
- How to Help Your Au Pair Adjust to a New Culture
- Au Pairs: A Solution for Military Families
- Au Pair Host Family Story: Amy & Luke
- Safety Tips to Consider Before Hosting an Au Pair
- 5 Steps to Finding the Perfect Au Pair
- How to Help Your Homesick Au Pair
- What Can And Can't Your Community Counselor Do?
- 6 Fun After School Activities for Host Families and Au Pairs
- Au Pair Summer Schedule
- How to Travel With Your Au Pair
- 6-Steps to Welcome your Au Pair
- Au Pair Schedule 101
- FAQ on Au Pairs Driving in the U.S.
- Host Family Guide to a Successful Year
- Single Parents Can Reduce Stress with Au Pairs in America
- Enrich The Lives of Your Family Through Cultural Exchange with an Au Pair Agency
- Au Pair Host Family Story: Christine & John
- Can au pairs provide child care over the holidays
- Hosting an Au Pair: True or False
- What do you do to entertain a 20-year-old when you’ve forgotten what it’s like to be 20?
- Welcoming Your Au Pair
- 7 Au Pair Facts
- Au Pair Host Family Story: Kelly & Micha
- Why Choose EurAupair
- The Second Au Pair Syndrome
- Au Pair Host Family Story: Kati & George
- EurAupair Host Families Reviews
6 Fun After School Activities for Host Families and Au Pairs
All across the country children are returning to school. As the air turns crisp and leaves change colors, host families and their au pairs are often at a loss for interesting and fun things to keep the children engaged after school. Here are six fun ideas for after school activities.
1. Head Outside
After being kept inside for most of the school day, children need time to get outdoors and get their blood moving. Weather permitting, playing outside is a great way to burn off steam after a long day. Consider taking your host siblings to the park or sign up for a community sports team.
2. Visit Local Area Attractions
Nearly every city will have at least one attraction worth visiting, such as a bowling alley, roller rink, or laser tag venue. These are generally inexpensive and can provide hours of safe enjoyment.
3. Play a Trivia Game
Every year or so game companies develop new trivia games rich with cultural and educational tidbits. This makes them perfect for after school, as they are helpful to children and au pairs as well! Just ensure the board game is age-appropriate.
4. Search Out Educational Establishments
When families decide to host an au pair, they are advised to make a list of nearby attractions their au pair may enjoy or benefit from. These may include zoos, museums, exhibits, science centers or community groups. Not only do these make great resources for au pairs to expand their cultural understanding, but they also make great after school activities for children.
5. Get Crafty
Arts and crafts have long been the go-to for keeping young children occupied and with the excess of affordable options and resource information available today, it has never been easier to set up a craft station for children.
6. Shake Up the Family Meal
One of the key benefits to being a host family or au pair, is the ability to expand on your current cultural knowledge, so why not involve the children in the meal preparation. Have one meal a week from a different country and introduce children to all the different flavors of the world!
For more ideas on how to keep host siblings engaged after school, please contact your local community counselor. To learn more about how to host an au pair, please contact the friendly staff at EurAupair today!