- Establishing Ground Rules With Your Au Pair
- Au Pair Host Family Story: The Brown Family
- EurAupair: Culturally Enriching, Convenient, and Affordable for 30 Years
- Au Pair and Pet Care | Can an Au Pair Care for Pets?
- Tips For Transitioning From One Au Pair To Another
- How to Prepare For and Conduct an Au Pair Telephone Interview?
- Can My Au Pair Drive?
- How to Prepare for an Au Pair?
- Things to Do With Your Toddler In Boston
- Never say goodbye… | An Au Pair Reunion Story
- Things to Do With Your Toddler In Chicago
- The Ultimate Au Pair Guide
- Why Host An Au Pair | Question to Consider When Choosing to Host
- How To Get The Best Of The Cultural Exchange With The Host Children
- How to Help Your Au Pair Adjust to a New Culture
- Au Pairs: A Solution for Military Families
- Au Pair Host Family Story: Amy & Luke
- Safety Tips to Consider Before Hosting an Au Pair
- 5 Steps to Finding the Perfect Au Pair
- Four Ways to Help with Homesickness When You Host an Au Pair This Holiday Season
- What Can And Can't Your Community Counselor Do?
- 6 Fun After School Activities for Host Families and Au Pairs
- Au Pair Summer Schedule
- Taking Your Au pair On Vacation
- 6-Steps to Welcome your Au Pair
- Au Pair Schedule 101
- FAQ on Au Pairs Driving in the U.S.
- Host Family Guide to a Successful Year
- Single Parents Can Reduce Stress with Au Pairs in America
- Enrich The Lives of Your Family Through Cultural Exchange with an Au Pair Agency
- Au Pair Host Family Story: Christine & John
- Can au pairs provide child care over the holidays
- Hosting an Au Pair: True or False
- What do you do to entertain a 20-year-old when you’ve forgotten what it’s like to be 20?
- Welcoming Your Au Pair
- 7 Au Pair Facts
- Au Pair Host Family Story: Kelly & Micha
- Why Choose EurAupair
- The Second Au Pair Syndrome
- Au Pair Host Family Story: Kati & George
- EurAupair Host Families Reviews
Taking Your Au pair On Vacation
Summer is one of the most popular times of the year for family vacations, and host families are no exception. When planning a vacation for the family, the au pair's needs and hourly restrictions still need to be considered. Here are three scenarios for you to consider when planning your vacation.
1. Your Au Pair Comes Along to Help with Child Care
If you are planning on having your au pair come along on the family vacation to continue to provide child care, her schedule and other requirements must still be met as if it were any other time. This includes ensuring she has her own room, does not work beyond the 10 hours a day or 45 hours a week, and still receives her weekly stipend. It's important to make sure your au pair has her schedule clearly laid out to prevent miscommunication while away from the home.
During a host family vacation with an au pair, any meals and admission tickets should be provided by the host family. For extended vacations, the au pair's time off must be accommodated as well (1.5 consecutive days off and full weekend off per month).
2. Your Au Pair is Traveling with You as a Family Member and Will Not Provide Child Care
When your au pair joins you on your family vacation as a member of the family and is not be expected to provide child care, the following should be considered:
- Your au pair will still receive her normal weekly stipend.
- She will have free time, but should be considered a part of the family.
- Cost of meals, and who is responsible for them, should be decided beforehand.
- Your au pair may share a room with the children.
- Price of tickets or admission to tourist areas should be paid for by the au pair if she wishes to join the family.
3. Your Au Pair is Traveling with the Family for Her Personal Vacation
If your au pair decides to join the family during her personal vacation time, she must have her own room, be free to do as she wishes, and she will be responsible for her meals and any admission tickets. Since this is considered her vacation, her weekly stipend should be paid at the start of the vacation.
To learn more about managing a host family vacation with an au pair, or about EurAupair’s amazing au pair services, please contact EurAupair today!