- From our Community Counselors: What impact on your life has EurAupair made?
- How Do Au Pair Programs Work?
- Stories of Au Pairs and Host Families During COVID-19
- Things to Do With Your Toddler in NY
- Snow Day Child Care: The Rising Solution for Budget-Savvy Parents
- 5 Winter Activities Your Au Pair and Children Will Both Love
- How to Thrive With a Live In Nanny in Washington D.C.
- Make Your Au Pair Feel at Home During the Holidays
- Edna Imbachi Guaca - Au Pair of the Year 2020
- Five Steps to Take When Issues Arise
- Affordable Child Care Alternatives
- Top Five Benefits of Hosting an Au Pair
- Au Pairs Versus a Nanny
- Host an Au Pair
- Cooking With Your Au Pair
- Things to Do With Your Toddler in Los Angeles
- Au Pair Gift Ideas
- Establishing Ground Rules With Your Au Pair
- Au Pair Host Family Story: The Brown Family
- EurAupair: Culturally Enriching, Convenient, and Affordable for 30 Years
- Au Pair and Pet Care | Can an Au Pair Care for Pets?
- Tips For Transitioning From One Au Pair To Another
- How to Prepare For and Conduct an Au Pair Telephone Interview?
- Can My Au Pair Drive?
- How to Prepare for an Au Pair?
- Things to Do With Your Toddler In Boston
- Never say goodbye… | An Au Pair Reunion Story
- Things to Do With Your Toddler In Chicago
- The Ultimate Au Pair Guide
- Why Host An Au Pair | Question to Consider When Choosing to Host
- How To Get The Best Of The Cultural Exchange With The Host Children
- How to Help Your Au Pair Adjust to a New Culture
- Au Pairs: A Solution for Military Families
- Au Pair Host Family Story: Amy & Luke
- Safety Tips to Consider Before Hosting an Au Pair
- 5 Steps to Finding the Perfect Au Pair
- How to Help Your Homesick Au Pair
- What Can And Can't Your Community Counselor Do?
- 6 Fun After School Activities for Host Families and Au Pairs
- Au Pair Summer Schedule
- How to Travel With Your Au Pair
- 6-Steps to Welcome your Au Pair
- Au Pair Schedule 101
- FAQ on Au Pairs Driving in the U.S.
- Host Family Guide to a Successful Year
- Single Parents Can Reduce Stress with Au Pairs in America
- Enrich The Lives of Your Family Through Cultural Exchange with an Au Pair Agency
- Au Pair Host Family Story: Christine & John
- Can au pairs provide child care over the holidays
- Hosting an Au Pair: True or False
- What do you do to entertain a 20-year-old when you’ve forgotten what it’s like to be 20?
- Welcoming Your Au Pair
- 7 Au Pair Facts
- Au Pair Host Family Story: Kelly & Micha
- Why Choose EurAupair
- The Second Au Pair Syndrome
- Au Pair Host Family Story: Kati & George
- EurAupair Host Families Reviews
Au Pair Gift Ideas
Hosting an au pair is a rewarding, exciting and enriching experience. She provides in-home child care and peace of mind for your family, you provide a warm home and hearty meals, and both she and your family benefit from building a personal, intercultural bond that will change your lives.
When you welcome your au pair into your host family, you want to set the stage for the best experience possible — and that means making her feel appreciated, valued, comfortable and happy in your home.
In addition to treating her with respect and making her a part of the family, it's a good idea to give her a little extra something special to show your appreciation now and then — like a great gift or thoughtful gift certificate!
Whether you're looking for a welcome gift for your au pair, a holiday present, a birthday gift, an occasional token of appreciation or a goodbye present, here are some great au pair gifts for a host family to give to get you started.
1. Welcome Gifts for Your Au Pair
An au pair will bring gifts for her host family, but those gifts are more intangible — the cultural exchange, the peace of mind and the convenience of live-in child care. When you first meet your au pair, you'll want to acknowledge all that she'll do for your family and how excited you are to invite her into your home, your family and your hearts. A wonderful way to welcome her to the country and her new home could be with any of these au pair welcome gift ideas.
Get a thoughtful welcome gift for your au pair, such as:
- A diary or journal
- A special mug or cup
- A pair of cozy slippers
- A set of luxurious bath products
- A personalized set of linens
- A bouquet of flowers
2. Cultural Offerings
When your au pair first arrives, she might be experiencing some culture shock. To welcome her into your home, build your relationship as her host family and introduce her into your culture, you might want to get her something that gives her insight into your culture. You'll help her acclimate to her new environment and make the transition to her new home easier with these au pair gift ideas that reflect your family's culture.
Help your au pair settle into your home and your culture with these cultural au pair gift ideas:
- A guidebook of your state, town or country
- A book about America's culture or history
- Sweets or food common in your family or town
- A map of public transportation or attractions in your area
- A gift certificate for your favorite local store or coffee shop
3. Keepsakes and Sentimental Items
Sometimes, the best gifts are the ones that come from the heart — and after spending some time with your family, your au pair will want to remember your time together. Sentimental au pair gift ideas will show how much your time together has meant to your family and how much your au pair has helped your family grow and experience a new culture. A keepsake will be the perfect way to say goodbye to your au pair or express your gratitude for her any time and thank her for all she's done.
Touch her heart by giving her a special sentimental gift, such as:
- A personalized photo item, like a mug or pillow
- A photo book with memories of your family and au pair together
- A handmade card or album from your children
- Framed artwork of your children's handprints
- A print of a map that connects your home to hers
4. Practical Items
Your au pair came to you with only the belongings she could fit in a suitcase — she's sure to appreciate any practical gifts she can put to use. Gifting your au pair with a few practical items will help her feel more comfortable in her new environment and make her transition to living with you that much easier.
When you want to give your au pair something useful, try these practical present ideas:
- Clothing and accessories
- Carry-on luggage for the new belongings she collects in your country
- A backpack or purse
- A modest camera to document her experiences
- A stationary set to write to home or journal her experiences
- A self-care gift basket with face masks, lotions and more
5. Personal Presents
When you spend a decent amount of time with your au pair and get to know her personally, you'll have a better idea of her tastes and interests. Personal au pair gift ideas are perfect for her birthday, holidays or a "just because" gift that shows your appreciation and how much you've gotten to know your au pair.
If you want to show your appreciation as a host family, give your au pair a gift that's suited to something you know she likes, such as:
- A gift certificate to her favorite restaurant, retail store or coffee shop
- A gym membership
- A subscription to her favorite magazine or streaming service
- A ticket for a personal trip
- An experience — like going bowling, seeing a movie, visiting an attraction or other fun activities
- A copy of a book by her favorite author
- Printed photos of family and friends for her to display in her room
6. Christmas Gift Ideas for Your Au Pair
The holidays are a time for giving and being grateful for those in your life, so include your au pair in your Christmas celebration and gift exchange. While the personal and practical gifts above would make a thoughtful holiday present, Christmas gift ideas for your au pair will suit the season.
Consider these Christmas gift ideas for your au pair:
- A personalized photo frame with pictures of her and your family
- A customized Christmas ornament with a photo of her and your family
- A ticket to a local event
- Cozy and practical winter accessories
- A gift box of her favorite tea or other warm drinks
Contact EurAupair With Questions About Your Au Pair Experience
With the invaluable and intangible gifts an au pair provides for a host family, you'll want to show your appreciation year-round with the above au pair gift ideas. Remember to take the time to appreciate your au pair and make her feel special! Contact EurAupair with any questions about your experience.